Tawaf remains a fundamental ritual of the Umrah pilgrimage. Pilgrims arriving in the region through their Umrah packages 2024 for the holy rituals must offer Tawaf in order to make their Umrah valid.
What is Tawaf?
Tawaf refers to the act of circling the Holy Kaabah (present in Masjid-al-Haram in Makkah, Saudia Arabia). For both the Islamic pilgrimage, i.e., Umrah and Hajj, Tawaf remains an integral part. Despite this, tawaf can also be undertaken voluntarily by the pilgrims outside of these pilgrimages.
Definition and Purpose.
During Tawaf for Umrah or Hajj, pilgrims are circumambulating the Holy Kaabah in a counterclockwise direction for seven rounds. The purpose of performing this ritual is not only to express devotion, humility, and unity before Allah but also to surrender to the divine presence.
In simple words, it can be said that Tawaf is the absolute portrayal of believers in their submission to Allah’s commandments.
Procedure and Rituals.
- Before beginning Tawaf, pilgrims must make sure that they are appropriately dressed for it.
- If you are performing Tawaf for Umrah, being in the state of Ihram is a necessity.
- Make wudu or Ghusl (whatever is needed) before beginning your Tawaf in Masjid-al-Haram.
- Pilgrims begin their Tawaf by approaching the place of Hajar-al-Aswad i.e., the Black Stone. If possible, it is recommended to touch and kiss it (known as Istilam). However, if there is a huge crowd present near it, one can simply point at it, read the dua, and proceed to the first round.
- Each round of tawaf must begin from the place of the Black stone and end there as well.
- It is recommended that the pilgrims make a sincere intention in their hearts to perform Tawaf i.e., whether they are performing for themselves or on behalf of their family/friends but affirming their dedication solely for the sake of Allah.
- Upon the completion of seven rounds of Tawaf, pilgrims must go near Maqam-e-Ibrahim and offer Salat-al-Tawaf.
- Drink Zamzam water.
Raml and Idtiba.
In the first three rounds of Tawaf, male pilgrims are required to perform Raml – an act of walking briskly with a shortened stride i.e., imitating a warrior. However, for the remaining four circuits, they must walk at a normal pace. Additionally, Talbiyah should be recited by men loudly.
Men must keep their right shoulder uncovered during Tawaf.
Spiritual Significance of Tawaf.
- Tawaf is seen as a physical manifestation of unity, devotion, and submission to Allah.
- While performing tawaf, pilgrims come under the same sky, wearing the same clothes, and offering the same rituals without any discrimination between them. Therefore, an exemplary portrayal of Muslim unity and brotherhood.
- The history of Tawaf goes back to the old times. So, keeping the tradition alive.
- Tawaf is a unifying force that brings Muslims from across the globe with different backgrounds, cultures, and nations together in order to worship Allah.
- Tawaf is such a significant ritual that it never stops. You will always see hundreds of pilgrims making Tawaf around Holy Kaabah 24/7 and 365 days a year.
Recitation of Duas.
Know that there are no specific Duas necessarily associated with different rounds of tawaf i.e., pilgrims are allowed to recite verses from the Holy Quran; engage in remembrance of Allah, or even make personal supplications while performing tawaf rituals.
However, at the same time, there are some duas that carry more significance if recited during tawaf. So, if you can remember them, recite them or you can also join the Imam as he recites these duas for your group.
So, there are recommended duas that are advised to be recited during Tawaf i.e., a new one for every round of Tawaf. Umrah Packages UK are offered by a trusted travel agency in UK, Islamic Travel. So, one can either recite them or also opt for making personal duplications and reciting Quranic verses – it is all permissible.